knittybitty

"The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together." - William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Monday, October 22, 2007

It's Organic...

Working as a checker at a grocery store is fascinating.
The sheer number of personalities I interact with each day is staggering. Most are fairly predictable, but a few stand out. People's shopping habits are just as varied.
This island, which is a ferry ride north of Seattle, is a mecca for Liberals. They come in to my store with their cloth shopping bags so as not to contribute any more waste to the "already strained" environment.
But that's just the tip of the iceberg. The average Islander drives either a Prius or an ancient Subaru, has no fewer than three anti-Bush bumper stickers, and brings their dog with them everywhere. The dogs wear bandanas or hats. Their poop is scooped up into bio-degradable baggies. These folks fill their shopping carts with all-organic produce, canned goods, dairy, and bulk foods. But then they toss in Oreos and Lay's chips... and beer. Lots of beer. Micro brews.
The women don't wear makeup; they smell of Patchouli oil and they wear microfleece and wool in layers over long yoga outfits or prairie dresses. Their hand-knit socks peek out from their Birkenstock sandals, and their children are large-eyed and pale, like Precious Moments characters.
They buy organic dog food for crying out loud. Dogs lick their own butts... do we have to worry about what they eat?!
But it makes for interesting work, and challenging conversation in the two to four minutes they are within my 'sphere of reality'. I have nothing in common with their belief-systems, yet I am required (by the store and by my upbringing) to be "Nice". As I said, it's challenging at times.
I like it. I don't understand them, but I guess they have their charms.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame on me but I am reading this in class (he's supposed to be talking on digital workflow but has gone off on a 45 minute tangent about stuff he talked about yesterday).
As I am reading this I am laughing
out loud but still to myself and laughing because everything you wrote is so so true about Whidbey/Washington.
Oh how I can't wait to be home for Christmas and experience island life again.
Glad you're having a blast getting to know your fellow islanders.
You know you love it...

<3

2:05 AM  
Blogger Anina said...

Don't you just love the tree huggers? I have to say I have a measure of admiration for people who can be so committed to a cause though.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Di said...

Well now, I guess you said what's on your mind, ha!
If I were to only mingle with like minds I wouldn't have anyone to mingle with. But I have learned quite a bit from those who are not like me, and it is surprising what I have found.
Here's to your search J, watch out 'cause you might be surprised where you land.....my search is still ongoing but boy the road I am being taken down was nothing as I expected. Prayers, hugs, and most of all may mercy and His grace be upon you on your journey.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home