knittybitty

"The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together." - William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Monday, November 06, 2006

Momma is a Yarn Ho?


I'm just sayin'...

I have a heckuva lot of yarn. What's that about? I like to think that I'm not some crazy yarnaholic, but the truth is dark and unpleasant.

I'm a yarn-hoard... more commonly known as a Yarn Ho... because Yarn Hoard is too long? Hm.

I'm cleaning out my sewing room in prepartion for The Big Move to Seattle next month. I call it a sewing room because it has a Bernina on the table... um, underneath a few layers of yarn and knitted goods. I used to sew. I used to quilt... um, I used to cook. I used to read. I used to talk to my neighbors. I used to clean my house. I used to alphabetize my spices for crying out loud!

And now?

Well, now I knit.

Going through the archeological dig I call my Yarn Stash reminds me of quite a few things. Like how I used to be enamoured of green yarn for instance. Or that I actually purchased 12 balls of Rowan Cotton 4-ply and planned to knit a garment! On that note, how about the other 1200 balls of yarn I apparently traded my paychecks for with the intention of cleverly making them up into something other than what they are... namely, balls of yarn? I'm going to have to do something to remedy that.

I'm sure that once I'm out of the knitting loop I'll turn my gaze homeward and remember the yarn of my youth... working in a yarn store is cloying. It keeps you abreast of all the new yarns, but never lets you finish a project before you're lured by the Siren's Song of yet another new yarn! It's a conspiracy, I tell you! I'm weak. My needles are willing but my resolve is weak... or is it just my memory? I honestly had forgotten I had so many aspirations for these fibers! Can I blame old age?

So I'm hoping that this move will help me refocus on the good things I have at home: namely about $2,000 worth of yarn that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Help me, Obi Knit-One Kenobi, you're my only hope?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home