knittybitty

"The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together." - William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

Friday, June 01, 2007

Alright, here's what's new...

Holy Moly! Where did May go!? Sorry I've been so lazy about the blog. And for as busy as I've been there's not a whole lot to write about.
Our new house is really coming along; the roof goes on this week and then they'll start the insides of it. Right now it's just framed, but still so fun to walk through and imagine where everything will go. I've had a greate time choosing colors, carpets, counters, cabinets, etc. After living in government housing for so many years it's a pretty good time! Sometimes it's as much about knowing what you don't want as it is what you do. You know the feeling: If I ever get my own house I'll never have _____. And having lived in over a dozen homes over the years my list is quite detailed. Fortunately, our builder is a dear man who seems to exist only to please my every whim. Ahh, home-buyer's bliss.
On the running topic, guess who ran TWELVE MILES yesterday? Oh yes, that was me!! It's part of my training schedule, adding one mile to my long runs each week in addition to the other two four- to five-mile easy runs. Okay, I'll put "easy" in quotation marks so no one rolls their eyes out there. I'm just sayin', if you run eight and ten and twelve miles at a stretch, five miles suddenly seems like a pretty nice little jog. What most pleases me is that I've cut time off my runs like you wouldn't believe! On my last three-mile run I ran 9-minute miles. On this run yesterday I ran consecutive 10:30 miles for the whole twelve. I felt like a rock star! And all this from someone who's Real Old! tee hee.
And on the job front, guess who got promoted to meat-cutter apprentice? Oh! Me again! (It's really fun to have a blog so I can talk about ME ME ME... good grief. Sorry to sound so self-absorbed. We'll talk about someone else next time. Ha.) So, for two years I'll train as a meat-cutter (please don't call them butchers, those are the dudes that kill the animals. Icky poo.) I'm going to know all there is to know about butt steak, flank steak, ground beef, swiss steak, tripe, tongue, liver, heart, kidneys and brains. There's a song that follows, but you'll have to hear me sing that in person with my Sister. It's a hoot, don'tcha know. At the end of my apprenticeship I'll be making the Big Bucks and better still, I'll be Really Good With A Knife.
So who would have thought that a career in knitting would segue into working seafood and becoming a meat cutter? I am a Julie of All Trades. The best part is I'm having a real good time doing it.
Okay. So that's my update. Photos of the house to follow. I promise not to stay away so long again. Next time I'll tell you about all the liberal tree-huggers out here in the Northwest who despise any and every thing there is to despise.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Hooray! A post!! And it's full of newsy goodness. (Of course, I'm going to see you in a couple days, but I'll take Sisterly words anytime.)

Can't wait to see the house, and watch you run, and learn some meat cutting tips. Oh, and sing, of course! "Meat, meat, tender and red...."

Soon!!

Sister

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...marbled and made out of something that's deeaaad..."
Those are the words, right? As soon as I saw 'butt steak' I began singing the song in my head. Haha.
12 miles...GO YOU! I've been lacking with the whole running thing lately. :( We've been so busy and now our outreach groups are wanting to meet more often (great thing, of course), so that leaves me with less energy to get up early and run/swim/run. In the meantime, my small child-of-a-stomach says hello. :P
Can't wait to see more pictures of the house! And I wish I was there to visit with Aunt Kate and the kids and be home for a bit. Save me a seat in the van!
Love you and miss you. Have other things to tell, but too much to write here.
Have a great run this weekend!

3:03 AM  
Blogger Dianna said...

Hi mommy! What a great way to start the day off, by reading about your busy life and all the things you are up to. I am so proud of you for running so far and 9 minute miles! Go mommy! I wish I was there running with you! I miss it so much!I cant wait till you phone me! I love you so much, and so do the babies!~Love, Dianna

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home